The cold weather and holiday season are upon us, so it’s time to eat and be merry! This beet and sweet potato salad is an eye-pleasing, healthy recipe bursting with flavor and color for the holidays or anytime throughout the chilly season.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 2 medium beets, peeled and cut into ½-inch wedges
- ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup wild brown rice blend
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 2 sticks orange honey (1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. minced garlic
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup pecan halves, toasted
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
1. Preheat oven to 425˚F. Coat a large rimmed baking pan with cooking spray. Place sweet potato cubes and beet wedges on prepared pan. Coat
evenly with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring once halfway through. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring water and rice to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Set aside and cool.
3. For balsamic vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together canola oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic, and pepper.
4. Just before serving, place baby spinach and rice in a large bowl. Toss with 3 Tbsp. vinaigrette. Arrange mixture on serving platter. In the same bowl, combine sweet potatoes, beets, pecans, and remaining dressing. Top bed of spinach and rice with sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese.