This recipe for beet soup looks sophisticated, but it’s actually easy to make. It’s perfect for warming you up on a cold day and it’s full of nutrients that are good for your gut. (Plus it’s vegan and gluten-free, too!)
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large beets, peeled and diced (or 4 beets, if smaller)
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and diced (approx 1 cup)
- 4 cups vegetable broth, or more for desired texture
- Coconut cream or yogurt
- Black sesame seeds
- Cracked black pepper
- Heat the avocado oil in a large stock pot on medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the diced beets, diced parsnips and vegetable broth. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the beets are fork tender.
- Use a ladle to transfer the soup to a high-powered blender. Blend for one minute or until creamy.
- To serve, pour the soup into a bowl and garnish with coconut cream or yogurt, parsley, black sesame seeds and cracked black pepper.