Recipe: Chocolate Banana Funky Monkey Popsicles
Staff June 10, 2020
Looking for a fun dessert idea that’s not loaded with sugar? These popsicles are a fun treat for kids (or adults) of all ages, and they’re dairy-free, gluten-free and low in added sugar as well!
- 1 14-oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- 2 Tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 2 large bananas cut into 18-24 slices
- 4 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds or pistachios
- Sea salt
- Drop 3-4 banana slices into each freezer pop mold and set aside.
- Place coconut milk, water, vanilla, honey and cacao in a blender and blend until well combined.
- Fill freezer pop molds with coconut milk mixture, being careful not to overfill and to allow for expansion when the pops freeze.
- Insert sticks into molds. If using wooden sticks, place a sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the filled molds and gently poke sticks through the foil to keep them upright until pops freeze solid.
- Place pops in freezer and freeze 4 hours or overnight, until solid.
- When ready to dip pops in chocolate, remove from the molds and place them on a baking sheet in the freezer until you’re ready to dip them in chocolate.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in small glass bowl set over a small pan of simmering water (or in a double boiler). Stir gently until smooth and liquefied.
- Remove pops from the freezer and dip the top of each pop in the melted chocolate or drizzle over the pops using a spoon. Allow excess chocolate to drip off before rolling in chopped nuts and sprinkling with sea salt.
- Return pops to baking sheet and store in freezer until ready to serve.