Heading out for a long hike, a day at the beach, or a concert or baseball game this summer? Bring along some trail mix for a nutritious snack that’s packed with protein. Here is an outline for a basic recipe, but feel free to customize it to your liking!
- 1 1/2 cups raw nuts (i.e. almonds, pecans, cashews, peanuts etc.)
- 1 cup raw seeds (i.e. sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.)
- 1 cup unsweetened, unsulphured dried fruit
- Fun stuff (amounts vary) (i.e. 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate, 1 cup popped popcorn, 1 cup pretzels etc.)
- Spice (i.e. 1/4 tsp. sea salt, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg)
Example of Customized Recipe
- 3/4 cup raw pecans
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unsulfured cherries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unsulfured raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped 82% dark chocolate
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Store in a ziploc bag or mason jar.
- Will keep for up to 1 month.