Recipe: Roasted Garlic Autumn Root Vegetable Mash
Staff November 4, 2021
If you are trying to reduce your carbs this Thanksgiving, one great alternative to mashed potatoes is mashing root vegetables instead. This recipe uses carrots, parsnips and cauliflowers for a yummy, Paleo-friendly recipe your family and friends will love.
Serves 8 people
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 4 tablespoons ghee, divided
- ½ onion, coarsely chopped
- ¾ pound parsnips (or about 5 small parsnips), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound carrots (or about 2 large carrots), peeled and coarsely chopped slightly smaller than parsnips
- 1½ pounds cauliflower florets (or 1 small head of cauliflower), coarsely chopped
- ½ cup bone broth or organic chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- minced chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and discard the papery outer layers of the whole garlic bulb. Leave the skins of the individual cloves of garlic intact. Using a sharp knife, cut 1/4 to a 1/2 inch from the top of cloves.
- Place the garlic head in a baking pan, cut side up. (You can use a muffin tin for this). Drizzle a couple teaspoons of olive oil over the garlic head, using your fingers to rub the olive oil over it. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the cloves are lightly browned and feel soft when pressed.
- While the garlic is cooking, melt three tablespoons of ghee in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and sauté the onions until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Peel and cut the parsnips, carrots, and cauliflower.
- Put the chopped vegetables into the pot and add the roasted garlic. Sprinkle on some salt and pour the broth and water into the pot and bring the contents to a boil. Then lower the heat to maintain a simmer, and cook covered for 25 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables can be easily pierced by a fork.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add the remaining tablespoon of ghee.
- Purée the mixture with an immersion blender or blitz in a food processor until smooth.
- Top with chopped chives if desired.
Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.