Salmon is one of the best things you can eat to maintain a healthy diet. It’s high in omega-3 fatty acids, it’s a good source of protein and it’s high in vitamin B, potassium and more. But sometimes cooking it can seem a bit boring. To spice it up, try this yummy salsa, made with avocados, tomatoes and spices!
- 2 4-6 oz salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the avocado salsa
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup tomato diced (any type of tomato)
- 2 tablespoons onion diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir the olive oil, garlic, and spices in a small bowl. Brush or rub salmon with the spice mixture.
- Heat a large heavy-duty (preferably non-stick) pan or grill medium-high heat. Add salmon to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan, top with avocado salsa and serve immediately. To bake salmon instead, pre-heat oven to 400F. Place salmon on a sheet pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through.
To make the avocado salsa:
- Add the avocado, tomato, onion, and cilantro to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, fresh lime juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Gently mix with a spoon until fully combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve.