Recipe: Strawberry Spinach Salad
Staff May 12, 2020
Looking for a yummy way to work more vegetables into your diet? You’ll love this strawberry spinach salad, which is low carb, gluten-free, keto friendly and the spinach can help boost your immune system, too!
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup full fat unsweetened chilled canned coconut milk (the top creamy part) OR coconut cream
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar OR balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. dried mustard or 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
- salt and black pepper to taste
- add sweetener of your choice to taste
For the salad:
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil or mint finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts plus more for topping
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken , leave out for meatless version
- 2 Tbsp. slivered almonds
- 1/2 Tbsp. goat cheese or crumbled feta optional, for serving
- thinly sliced onions optional, for serving
- MAKE THE DRESSING: Add all of the ingredients for the dressing into a bowl or jar. Whisk or shake until combined.
- COMBINE THE VEGGIES AND PROTEIN: In a large bowl, add the spinach, sliced strawberries, avocado, chopped pecans, slivered almonds and shredded chicken (if using)
- TOSS THE SALAD: Pour the homemade dressing over the greens and toss to combine. Top with fresh herbs and/or goat cheese or crumbled feta (leave out for Whole30 and Paleo) and serve immediately.
NOTE: You can also toss in romaine for added crunch, or add berries such as blackberries, blueberries or raspberries for a fun variation. You can also add grilled chicken, salmon, turkey or shrimp for additional protein.
From Life Made Sweeter