Looking to detox your major organs to start the year feeling cleansed and energized? This soup is full of hearty, anti-inflammatory ingredients that will help support a detoxification of your liver and kidneys and will help reduce bloating.
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger, minced (about 1 heaping Tbsp.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup dry green or brown lentils
- 2 teaspoons fine Himalayan salt, divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (or to taste)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, carrots, and celery, and stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, and thyme, and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Immediately add in the water after that, so the garlic won’t start to burn.
- Add in the lentils, 1 teaspoon of salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and let the soup cook until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- When the lentils are tender, add in the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, along with the cilantro and lemon juice. The cilantro will wilt quickly in the hot soup. Adjust any seasoning to taste, and serve warm.
- Leftover detox soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.