Looking for a delicious, healthy soup that the whole family will love? This chicken vegetable soup is grain free and dairy free, making perfect for anyone following a Paleo diet.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided plus more for serving if desired
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup diced peeled carrots
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 ½ tsp. dried sage (rubbed)
- 1 tsp. dry thyme
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced peeled parsnips
- 1 cup diced peeled turnips, rutabaga or celeriac
- 1 14-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, optional
- 4 cups chopped washed fresh kale (no stems)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy-bottom soup pot over high heat until shimmering, but not smoking. Add chicken in a single layer and let cook, undisturbed until it is browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Stir and continue cooking, stirring once or twice until the chicken is opaque all the way through, 3 to 5 minutes longer. (Test by cutting a piece in half.) Remove the chicken and any accumulated juices to a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Return the soup pot to medium heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and allow to heat until hot, but not smoking. Add garlic, onion, carrot and salt and cook, stirring often until the vegetables are softened and starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add paprika, sage, thyme, pepper and turmeric, and continue cooking, stirring constantly until the spices are fragrant, 90 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Add broth, celery, parsnips and turnips, cover and bring to a gentle boil over high heat. Remove lid, reduce heat to medium-low or to maintain a simmer, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Break up tomatoes if using with your hands into large chunks. Add them and any juices from the can to the soup. Stir in the cooked chicken and any juices from the plate, and kale. Cook until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot drizzled with additional extra-virgin olive oil if desired.